"Find the Flower that Blossoms"

"Find the Flower that Blossoms"
The Must read for 2011!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Role Race Plays in our Everyday Lives

Without even talking about the institutional racism that functions as policy in this society, just take a look at the little subtle things that perpetuate White supremacy. For example, yesterday my wife and I were walking through the personal products section at Target so I could get some shampoo. We came to the hair section and I noticed a sign that said "Ethnic Hair Products." I laughed when I saw this sign because all people have an ethnicity whether it's Italian, Swedish, German, Yoruba, Mandinka, Wolof, Mexican, Dominican, Vietnamese, or Arab, but in America, the term "Ethnic" is reserved for people of color. The inference here is that people of color represent a different category of people. This view of course assumes Europeoans, or White people, are the standard version of what a person should be and everyone else is different, or really less standard, or really less valuable, or really less relevant??

No comments:

Post a Comment